Translaton from the German of the article posted at



Review of a case of death

British Jeremiah Duggan died under mysterious circumstances in Hesse in 2003

4 June 2015 – by Daniel Zylbersztajn


Kitty Freund speaks clearly. No one would guess that she is already 102 years old. She is looking at the many photos of a young man on the filing cabinets and dressers in her daughter Erica Duggan’s study. Many family members of her late husband, who was a Jewish refugee from Berlin, were victims of National Socialism. Twelve years ago her grandson Jeremiah lost his life in Germany. It is suspected that right-wing extremism was involved. “I still cannot believe that all this has occurred in our family”, Kitty says.


In March 2003 Jeremiah Duggan was intending to stay in Germany only briefly to take part in a conference held by the Schiller Institute in Wiesbaden. The young man, then 22 and originally from the north of London, was studying in Paris. While there he had met several times with a member of the French group Solidarity and Progress, linked with the Schiller Institute. Jeremiah Duggan was not aware that the LaRouche group was behind the two organisations.


The organisation run by the American Lyndon LaRouche and his German wife is, according to the British expert in right-wing extremism Matthew Feldman, known for its conspiracy theories, which are to some extent abstract, many along the lines of the well-known anti-Semitic pattern. The British monarchy and the British financial system were among those that LaRouche often warns against, Feldman says.


SHOAH DENIERS Feldman is not surprised that Jeremiah Duggan was clueless at the time. LaRouche used coded linguistic terms that alternatively stand for Jews. You have to look quite closely to learn about their contacts to Shoah deniers and members of the racist secret society KKK. LaRouche even gives the appearance of being leftist to lure young people, Feldman says. When Duggan revealed during the conference that he was a British Jew – in an atmosphere of panic, shortly before the outbreak of the Iraq War – that may have alarmed some members, Feldman surmises. Furthermore, the historian explains, the group often builds up psychological pressure on new members in order to break them.


After all, before Jeremiah’s death there was a desperate cry for help that may confirm that he felt he was at their mercy. On the morning of his death, the young man called his mother in London twice. Shortly before that he also spoke with his girlfriend. He said he was in serious trouble, was scared and that he didn’t want to do what they were demanding of him, and he named the organisation where he was attending the conference as the reason behind his distress. The call then ended abruptly. Both his girlfriend and his mother immediately contacted the police.


But just 45 minutes later Jeremiah was found dead on the A-road 455 near Wiesbaden. Two witnesses say they saw him there before his death. But neither they nor the driver of the cars that allegedly collided with him nor individuals from the Schiller Institute were intensively investigated by the police. According to the criminal police in Wiesbaden it was a clear case: suicide. The investigating police officer concluded after his own inspection of the dead body, without having it forensically evaluated, that the injuries fit his assumption that the dead man was the victim of a two-vehicle accident.


POLICE Jeremiah’s parents Erica and Hugo Duggan travelled to Wiesbaden on that same day. They were not satisfied by what the police explained to them. In Jeremiah’s case his psychological profile did not speak in favour of suicide, nor was there any other reason for it. His parents report that from the very onset they met with many strange reactions and comments, such as the one from the former manager of the Schiller Institute, who, without being asked, declared no fewer than three times that “the Schiller Institute is not responsible for its members’ actions.” She also claimed, the Duggans say, that Jeremiah was lodging in an external guesthouse but that she did not know where that was. In fact, Jeremiah stayed in an apartment belonging to the organisation’s head of information, says Hugo Duggan.


Later the parents hear that a sociologist conducted an interview with the mother of one of Lyndon LaRouche’s bodyguards, himself a member of the organisation. He is supposed to have said that it “was good that Duggan died”, and that “they had chased him”. The Duggans also heard something similar from anonymous contacts. But not all of them were willing to testify in court.


FORENSIC MEDICINE At least their struggle for truth led to a second forensic examination in England. Two weeks ago, Judge Andrew Walker ruled in the Jeremiah Duggan case: it was not a suicide. Instead the causes of death are to be considered unresolved. Experts had stated earlier on that Duggan’s death must have had something to do with the Schiller Institute, and that the young man’s injuries most likely were caused by repeated blows on the head with a heavy object. The damages to the cars also did not fit with a collision with a person.


On the basis of the injuries it can be assumed, the judge said, that Duggan was involved in some kind of skirmish before his death. The judge did not want to go into whether Jeremiah was possibly already dead before his corpse was found on the A-road, meaning whether the scene of the accident could have been staged. But he concluded that, “Duggan’s contact to a right-wing extremist organisation might well have been a factor that led to his death – particularly considering that he had revealed himself as a Jew and a Brit and had questioned the materials presented to him.”


RE-EXAMINATION In Wiesbaden the family also achieved so-called “proceedings to force criminal prosecution” at which the public prosecutor’s office was requested by the higher regional court to reopen the investigation. However, the public prosecutor’s office commissioned the same officer for the re-examination who twelve years ago wrote “suicide” on the Duggan file.


Hugo Duggan summarises the experiences that he has with the German investigating authorities over the course of many years with the words “tough, cold, uncooperative, slow and repeatedly full of mistakes”. He tells how even standard documents were filled out wrong and sent off. Be it for reasons of incompetence or intention, it was all quite odd. Matthew Feldman, the expert in right-wing extremism, has a different explanation for the authorities’ lack of action: Jeremiah Duggan died at exactly the same time as the NSU murders [the Bosphorus serial murders] occurred.